Saturday 9 June 2012

Reality Bites Cafe, Bishopdale

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.....It’s common knowledge that I get out of bed at 5am most mornings yet it would be fair to say I am far from wide eyed and bushy tailed at any time before midday.
However, on this particular morning I found myself across the table from one of the city’s power brokers (no, not a CERA contractor with an oversized bulldozer)in the Reality Bites cafe in Bishopdale. What an eye-opener! The cafe is visually defined by the striking, effervescent, colourful artwork of Nicola Taylor. Bold statements, captivating images and yes, even one of a digger at work!
Inside the front windows, in the sun, my colleague and I drank the elixir of the coffee bean, discussed our urgent business and dined on some smart and tasty offerings. For me it was a ribeye sandwich with rocket, mayo, onion jam, mushroom and flair. The cafe’s interpretation of a steak sandwich was a thankful departure from normality. The presentation so talented with the yearning, tongue pleasing textures of the mushrooms providing an enduring fungal adventure atop a substantial fillet of beef and a bright green splash of vegetation to match Nicola Taylor’s brilliant colours on canvas.
Something is working very well in this little corner of suburbia and methinks tis more than the freshly prepared food(the ‘chef’ took ten minutes to prepare my meal and I could see her working away on it in the kitchen – this was no pre-prepared microwaved animal) and the commendably good presentation. I more than sensed a passion, a dedication to achieve and to offer customers just that little bit more than other cafes. I do want to go back and see what else they can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment