Saturday 28 July 2012

Fare, "fair quivering with flavour."


It may be because I’m going through a raw fish phase but I cannot resist the lure of sashimi-ing it up at the nearest Japanese restaurant whenever possible. This can mean three or four times a week and so it was that I found myself, and my small but equally enthusiastic entourage, at Sakura Japanese Cuisine in Upper Riccarton. There’s an interesting enclave of Asian eateries in an arcade running between a large carpark shared by as many as fifty businesses and Riccarton Rd...or is it Yaldhurst? Sakura is no more than a small space but how much room do you need to slice up a bit of fish, deep fry some of this and a little of that to create satisfied customers? The essential focus here is clearly on the food and there are several sashimi options available for lovers like me.
Elegant of presentation, fair quivering with flavour and aburst with fine, soft and fondly appreciated tastes, my platter of sashimi overflowed with its own inimitable acclaim, delivering a wrap of wasabi and soy, a joy in every sense. Of course, I ventured further in the course of my dinner, grasping wistly and with enthusiasm at various other offerings such as a spunky seaweed salad, pork and vegetable noodles, mini spring rolls and no fewer than 20 exquisitely manufactured, thick and theopneustic discs of sushi, a delicacy so full of fine design, each one topped with a small scoop of roe.
All this for a reasonable price, with good service thrown in, makes for a pleasant enough evening out.

No comments:

Post a Comment