Friday 28 December 2012

Terrific Tomi's Tantilising Jap Restaurant




Smack me with a wet fish! Now that I have your attention I can tell you about  Edgeware’s newest restaurant. Tomi’s Japanese is at the carpark end of the micro mall known as Edgeware Mall, opposite the famously successful Sema’s Thai Restaurant and next door to the equally well respected Corianders.

I was screaming along Sherborne en route to Placemakers Cranford when I espied this urban newbie, where once stood a café or two,  each as unsuccessful as the other. It is never a comfort to any of us who love food and the people who cook it for us, to see an eatery fail but so many do.

Tomi’s may be different and I hope it is to be so. This newly fitted restaurant is run by “Joe”, his wife and his father-in-law, all Japanese – thank God for that – and the essential point of difference is that Joe is a person passionate about wine and in possession of more than a modicum of knowledge and commonsense with respect to that liquid. His FIL can do the business on the plates, so to speak, and if my brief early evening encounter is of any value as a judgement, they have, collectively, hit the spot.

My food was beautifully complemented by Joe’s recommendations (even though I am, I must admit, a trained sommelier in my own right) and although the portions were small in size they suited my need to lose weight and lead a healthier life! Damn it man, I’m revealing too much!

You are assured of a warm welcome at this place. There’s three staff only, all owners! The décor is smart, polished wood, clean as a whistle, light and bright. If you’re a lone diner, and I suspect there will be many from the plethora of motels along Sherborne, you can sit along the ‘bar’ with a most excellent view of the chef plying his trade.

A sauvignon blanc wasn’t out of place to begin my meal on this 29 degree day and the seaweed salad with a sprinkling of corn, cucumber slices, radish slivers, lettuce and a luxurious sesame dressing gambolled about the plate without a care in the world. No fiscal cliff worries here….

With near perfect timing Joe appeared with some fried pork and cabbage dumplings and an elegant glass dispenser filled with soy vinegar sauce; at this point I must advise that the plate held more than just the dumplings – there was colour added in the guise of lettuce and more – a nice touch! The dumpling s themselves were fine – I’m not a committed fan of fried dumplings as I much prefer steamed or boiled but these were very good nonetheless and I am sure you won’t complain if you order them.

What I was holding out for, of course, was the sashimi as this dish is one of my favourites. The essence of natural presentation, freshness, palate pampering taste and exudation of core flavours is hard to beat anywhere on a table. In this instance there were twelve pieces, each arranged in its category and type, succulent in play and proud of the moment, ready for to make the ultimate sacrifice to satisfy the predator…me.

With artistry and aplomb on the plate the sashimi was offered, its allure as intoxicating as its physical presence and the eating as fine as the palate can imagine.

I can see myself returning for more in the coming weeks and months. It seems to me that Joe ‘s interest in wine is such that should suggestions be made by discerning customers about extending the wine list ( which already has representation from Germany, France, Sicily, Australia and New Zealand..and more)he may well agree.

It’s early days yet, of course, but the quality of restaurant fare available in inner St Albans (Edgeware) has been immeasurably improved by the opening of Tomi’s.

As always, don’t take my word for it, try it for yourselves! I might see you there.







No comments:

Post a Comment