Sunday 24 March 2013

Mussel Inn, Golden Bay


There are times when the great unwashed have called me a smarmy, smart-arsed bastard but I always like to think that those without sin should cast the first stone. I’ve never tried to muscle in where I’ve not been wanted but when in Golden Bay you very much MUST do the Mussel Inn. My perfect travelling companion and I flexed the better than equine-like muscles of our metallic steed one lunchtime en route to join other members of the Inn crowd at the MI. Many of you who have had the pleasure of visiting the area will know that the Mussel Inn is famous for its unparalleled, untouched world atmosphere and live music. Some have extolled the virtues of its food and that’s eminently fair also! Good, honest, edible fare – yes! Gems for the palate – perhaps, perhaps….

However, this is a place you visit to absorb and imbibe, take in the exquisite uniqueness of the Great Depression décor, the clutching and grabbing encroaching foliage and have a good time. Leave your high heels in the car, take off your reefer jacket and leave your 5 Star dining attitude at the door because this is a one of the kind, get down and dirty (in a nice kind of way), let it all hang out venue.
Ok, ok, I was there at lunchtime and some of this might seem irrelevant but just painting the picture…..there are layers to any canvas.
Let’s just back up a little and return to the wisdom of written accuracy….I had Green Tea -  no alcohol as I had a long drive ahead so erred on the side of caution. Let it here be stated that I do not approve of drinking and driving and a taxi back to Tata Beach let alone Christchurch would have caused my bankers to put a contract on me.
A vegetarian burger with falafel and an egg on top was a sufficient prod at my hunger and this was surprisingly tasty for one who is not a Vegetarian but who will sometimes venture into what for some is forbidden territory! It was excellent and filling and complemented my pot of Green Tea. Falafel is a fav of mine.
I just love the well-worn wooden floors, the old 19th Century doors, the chunky, smooth-from-use outdoor furniture, the verandahs, corrugated iron, olde world atmosphere. I know well this is a venue that pumps in the evenings and well into the nights and so for you it is a case of forewarned is forearmed. Go and have some fun! It’s likely to stave off any hint of Muscular atrophy…..
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment