Sunday 24 March 2013

The Naked Possum


 
Nude possums are not the norm; in fact I openly admit to never having seen one so the realization that, whilst on holiday in Golden Bay recently, I had the chance to visit a café in the sticks called ‘The Naked Possum’ set my heart a fluttering with excitement.
Of course, I was not really expecting to be greeted at the café by a fully shaved possum or, indeed, a person dressed as a naked possum but, as they say, you never quite know…
The NP’s website tells us “The Naked Possum is situated beside the Kaituna river at the base of the Kaituna walking track in Golden Bay. A 14km drive inland from Collingwood township, 2km along an unsealed road from the Kaituna bridge turnoff.”  
Driving anywhere in Golden Bay is a glorious  pleasure, the roads uncluttered & the weather in summer faultless,  but I can tell you that turning off the main road at Collingwood and heading for the mountains where, pretty much at the end of the road, wild foods aplenty await, brings with it a certain ramping up of tinglingly  good feelings. Thankfully the road isn’t tar-sealed all the way in and the shingle & talcum powder fine dust set the scene nicely.
Even on a warm and sunny afternoon the fire in the covered outdoor dining area was burning, the smoke from the huge fireplace wafting across the tables, a curative for all our city ailments, if you know what I mean…
Music piped through the strategically placed speakers seemed somehow inappropriate in such a lovely, serene location especially as we just wanted to loll about soaking up the natural vibe of the surrounding hills rather than the artificial vibe of commercial music.
Nevertheless, we were there to enjoy the food, as much has been written about the wild game pies on the menu. I couldn’t resist the Tahr open sandwich with its hearty slabs of meat, lashings of salad, slices of tomato, cucumber and a giant dollop of chutney. Wild Tahr have been roaming the Southern Alps for over 100 years and these Tibetans are now relatively freely hunted. Nonetheless, this ‘goat’  meat with its rich, almost venison-like  flavours and intensity  isn’t commonly found on supermarket shelves. This particular meal was a little overcooked for my liking(the meat) and overshadowed by the powerful chutney. In spite of this I did enjoy the experience and have resolved to try tahr cooked in different ways when the opportunity next presents itself.

I purchased a couple of frozen pies to enjoy on subsequent days – a venison and a goat curry – both provided me with tasty, filling lunches on my return to the golden sands of Tata Beach. The hearty venison pie I chose to eat with mashed potatoes and green beans and a glass of Gimblett Gravels Cab/Merlot, the goat curry pie with cucumber and yoghurt and a cold glass of Macs Ale. I only wish I had bought more as these were true expressions of Kiwi pie-making excellence.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment