Wednesday 2 July 2014

Herb Centre Cafe

16th April 2013

After a morning of meaninglful but unhelpful property-related mess-ups, I suddenly found myself in the Garden of Eden….on Kilmore Street. The cares of the world, well, my world anyway, were swept away by a gentle puff of wind and my position beneath the healthiest of teenage fig trees secured for me a state of unassailable contentment. Not more than 100 centimetres from my right elbow two plump, flighty bees were going about their most excellent business amongst the violet blue flowers on the Rosemary bushes, paying no attention to me whatsoever. I felt at home in such a welcoming, peaceful environment and was given more reason to exclaim my happiness when the gentle Autumn sun floodlit my table in a gracious sign of acceptance.
In a short while, my overworked and tragelaph –like body was to be appropriately disciplined with a strong espresso, the very Switch of pleasure it could be said.
The Barista and waitress, a talented girl from Germany perhaps, swished by with a second espresso, its grasp so compelling, its crema so comforting, its taste a tribute to the Switch brand. Next came my reward for not sinning as much today as I did yesterday – cafĂ© romance! Yes, a fantastic, fresh and wholesome, cheerful gallimaufry of salads and individual vegetables, each vying for the honour of opening the Opera, handing me the Engagement ring, singing from the mountaintops…..
There was Carrot & beetroot, home made potato salad, lettuce, bean sprouts, radish, cucumber, broccoli, herbs and spices, wild rice and an Indian rosti with a cheeky chutney. The colours, so full and fecund, refulgent and beautifully elemental.
How can I not return for more of this passion amidst the midday madness, roadworks, cranes and cacophony of stapleguns in contemporary Christchurch?

No comments:

Post a Comment