Tuesday 10 April 2012

Addington Coffee Co Op

Addington Coffee Co-Op
It’s no secret that I rise before dawn every morning, ready, willing and able to do what must be done to serve my masters...and mistresses of course.
The day begins with a strong shot of espresso coffee to jolt the slumbered senses into action and shock the joints into the slow and steady motion that propels me in the general direction of the bathroom. The ablutions completed, I turn my now more active mind to matters of sustenance and do a quick mental scan of cafes and restaurants in my area that might be open and offering appealing fare. I am nothing less than a fanatic, it’s true!
No such luck on this particular morning, however, as I knew I had to embark on a trans-suburban expedition to an urban legend known as the Addington Coffee Co-op. Surprisingly, in the years that this barking hound of quality has been serving the masses I had not once stepped over it’s threshold. Bad old me!
Today was the day, in any case, to remedy past sins and so I elbowed my way in through the doors, past the mini Laundromat( mentally noting that I should have brought a full set of king sized sheets, pillowcases & duvet to run through whilst breakfasting)to join the formidable queue.
We’re all used to waiting in Christchurch these days so the 10 minute super-slow shuffle to the counter was a small inconvenience. In fact, it gave me time to survey the capacious room, the eclectic cross-section of Christchurchians, and others..and to choose my man-sized morsels of choice.
After weeks of exotic feasting throughout the country it was time to get back to basics and so the House Breakfast was my weapon of choice. I used it well to battle the mid morning pangs of Sunday hunger. Hungarian sausages from Peter Timms, rashes of middle bacon, outstandingly delicious poached eggs, potato hash and a small scoop of tangy chutney combined with a side of funky fungals – field mushrooms. Damn it man I was being spoilt in a fundamentally satisfying & special way.
The two cups of head-stomping coffee put lead back in my pencil, stoked my flagging boiler, revved up my idling engine and I was once more a born again dragon-slaying super human Lu-minary.
There’s no guarantee you’ll enjoy the same highs that I did at the Addington Coffee Co-op but until you go you’ll never know....

No comments:

Post a Comment