Tuesday 10 April 2012

Boulcott St Bistro - Wellington

A pretty girl, a fine restaurant and a drop or two of quality wine makes for a memorable occasion, wouldn’t you agree?  I had bolted through the arrival gates at Wellington airport off the first flight out of Christchurch and whilst I had a frenetic day of serious business engagements I wanted to eat and drink my way through the day in between these encounters.  It’s amazing what you can achieve if you set your mind to it!
The Boulcott Street Bistro & Winebar is an intimate beast with exquisitely set tables, polished service and memorable fare.  My lunch partner, a mere slip of a girl who was  a veritable intellectual, multilingual  powerhouse destined for great things in the international professional arena in her field, took time out from her busy schedule to enjoy my company.
For a central city location and a restaurant of Boulcott’s eminence the prices are more than fair. At the time of my visit ‘Wellington on a Plate’ was running and it was possible to enjoy two courses and a glass of Domaine de la Terrace Martinborough Pinot Gris for $35.00. As attractive an offer as this was we chose to dine a la carte.
For me it was a fine serving of Karengo Hot-smoked Southland Salmon with Potato and Watercress Salad  to begin; presented on the plate with considerable artistry, the interplay between the green of the watercress, the pink hues of the beautiful salmon, the dark, fluid buttons of balsamic & the pearly whiteness of the generous plate much tantalized me before the first bite was taken. Every bit a star.
A main of Braised Lamb Shank, potato mash, lentil sauce & minted peas, said to be one of this restaurant’s classic dishes, didn’t disappoint in any way. Cooked with a precise confidence and with the customer’s tastebuds in mind the lamb was faultless, the lentil sauce a delightful addition offering a different texture to massage the mouth and prolong the joyfulness of the moment. I was delighted to see broccoli available as a side dish and so a well-stacked plate of Steamed broccoli with toasted almond polonaise  not only satisfied my palate but gladdened my heart. I could have enjoyed this on its own…
Exercising outstanding restraint I restricted myself to one glass of Jim Barry Cab Sauv during this meal but followed it up at the end of proceedings with a $5.75 long black…….after all I needed all my wits about me for the afternoon’s meetings.
Lunch for two: Just over $170.00

No comments:

Post a Comment