Tuesday 10 April 2012

Divan Cafe - Auckland

I cannot imagine how many of the 365 breakfasts I eat each year are inspirational, original culinary fascinations; what I do know, however, is that I too often succumb to conventional everyday fare when travelling within this most excellent country of ours. For example, last week in Auckland I chanced upon the Divan House Cafe, not because I knew of its downtown provenance and established reputation amongst the local 9 to 5ers but because I espied the tables along the side of a Melbournesque-like alleyway off Queen St. The setting looked so charming and a good 75% of the tables were occupied by all manner of interesting creatures. Of course it would be fun to tell you they were aliens from another planet or zombies about to swarm out into the city but in reality they were just lovely Aucklanders......
Atmosphere is what you get in this almost secretive, narrow, dead-end alleyway, but a stone’s throw from the waterfront. The setting had an almost instantaneous hypnotic effect on me and I plonked my hungry carcass down, lusting after blood...oops, coffee actually.
The uniformed waiter was prompt and courteous, my espresso arriving within minutes and an order of eggs Benedict with smoked salmon($17.00) soon after. The food was ample, the flavours predictable but great nonetheless, a smooth hollandaise, not too little, not too much, eggs cooked to my satisfaction – no runny egg white ‘bits’ – and the whole was ever so well presented. A strikingly succulent, grilled half tomato on the side, just the right amount of salmon to add its textural beauty on the plate (and the palate!), a very clean plate, the richness of the sauce, the strength of the bacon. I can see myself returning for another breakfast next week when the City of Sails has to cope with me for another day....

No comments:

Post a Comment